Our Collection...


 Search Our Collectionis...
[NNAM.1989.175.001] Aircraft - 'F9F-6 Cougar'
1989.175.001
F9F-6 Cougar
Accession Number NNAM.1989.175.001
Accession Date 23/03/1989
Creator
Creator Creator Role
Manufacturer
Date Created 1953
Object Desciption The museum's F9F-6 Cougar was accepted by the Navy on 27 April 1953, and by July of that year joined Fighter Squadron (VF) 142 based at Naval Air Station (NAS) Miramar, California, where it remained between periods of overhaul and repair until February 1956. This included a 1955-1956 Western Pacific cruise in the carrier Boxer (CVA 21). Subsequently, it served in Fighter Squadron (VF) 144 at Miramar before being assigned to the Naval Air Reserve. In this capacity, it operated from NAS Spokane, Washington, NAS New Orleans, and NAS Los Alamitos, California, between 1957 and 1959 before being placed in storage at Naval Air Facility (NAF) Litchfield Park, Arizona, and eventually stricken from the inventory. Transferred to Naval Weapons Center (NWC) China Lake, California, for storage, the aircraft was assigned to the National Museum of Naval Aviation in 1989 and arrived the following year.
Notes A follow-up design to Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation's successful F9F-2/5 Panther, the F9F-6 Cougar bore a striking resemblance to its predecessor, but featured a 35 degree swept wing that improved performance. Follow-on versions incorporated a larger fuel capacity to extend range as well as a modified wing and canopy design. All told, nearly 2,000 production F9F Cougars were produced for the Navy and Marine Corps, serving as in the fighter, attack, photoreconnaissance, and training roles, the latter versions of the aircraft featuring a dual cockpit. The Cougar was also the first swept wing aircraft used by the Blue Angels flight demonstration team from 1955-1957. In addition, during 1956 Attack Squadron (VA) 46 flying F9F-8 Cougars from the aircraft carrier Randolph (CVA 15) made the first extended deployment of the AIM-9 Sidewinder missile. The last Cougars were retired from the training command in 1974.

Specifications

Manufacturer: Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation
Dimensions: Length: 44 ft., 5 in.; Height: 12 ft., 3 in.; Wingspan: 34 ft.; 6 in.
Weights: Empty: 11,866 lb.; Gross: 24,763 lb.
Power Plant: One 7,250 lb. static thrust Pratt & Whitney J-48-P-8A turbojet
Performance: Maximum Speed: 705 M.P.H.; Service Ceiling: 50,000 ft.; Range: 600 miles
Armament: Four 20mm fixed forward-firing cannon, four AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles, or 2,000 lb. of ordnance
Crew: Pilot

Aircraft in the Museum Collection

F9F-6 (BuNo 128109)- On indoor static display
F9F-8 (BuNo 131230)- On outdoor static display
Multimedia
F9F-6 On Display
 Search Our Collections...


Powered by:

KE SoftwareCopyright © 2011 KE Software.